Los Angeles, May 25
Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman has been accused of sexual misconduct and inappropriate behaviour on movie sets by as many as eight women.
According to the CNN, a total of 16 people spoke to the news outlet about the 80-year-old actor’s alleged acts which range from sexually charged verbal harassment to touching.
While eight said they had experienced harassment or inappropriate behaviour, another eight said they witnessed Freeman’s alleged behaviour.
“In all, 16 people spoke to CNN about Freeman as part of this investigation, eight of whom said they were victims of what some called harassment and others called inappropriate behaviour by Freeman. Eight said they witnessed Freeman’s alleged conduct,” the report said.
“These 16 people together described a pattern of inappropriate behaviour by Freeman on set, while promoting his movies and at his production company Revelations Entertainment,” it said.
Freeman issued a brief statement of apology hours after the allegations of sexual misconduct were reported.
“Anyone who knows me or has worked with me knows I am not someone who would intentionally offend or knowingly make anyone feel uneasy. I apologize to anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected — that was never my intent,” the statement said.
The Screen Actors Guild said it is considering whether to take “corrective actions” regarding Freeman, which could include rescinding the Life Achievement Award he received in January.
Visa and TransLink, the Vancouver public transit system, which feature Freeman in their advertisements have put their work with the actor on hold.
“In light of information we’ve learned this morning of allegations regarding actor Morgan Freeman, TransLink has decided to pause his voice announcements as part of a VISA ad campaign on our transit system. We will be reaching out to VISA to discuss further,” TransLink said in a statement.
Freeman actor is the latest in a string of Hollywood celebrities and other high-profile public figures accused of sexual misconduct since revelations about disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein sparked the #MeToo movement last year. — PTI.
All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.